Generally speaking the field of psychology is dedicated to the study of healthy and disruptive psychological functioning, with the objective of seeking the optimization of resources that will allow persons to respond in the best way possible to their physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and relational challenges during their life-span development. This way, it helps people recover their sense of balance and well-being.
Any person at a given time can become winded and disturbed by life events and by their particular ways of being-in-the-world. They might need some support in the way they perceive and struggle with problems or impairments that can come from a variety of areas like relationships, sexual issues, stress, not feeling well in their own skin, loss of meaningful persons, things, beliefs or projects, self-esteem, sadness, burnout, addictions, or even the search for meaning in their lives.
With time, if these difficulties are not addressed and brought into light they may become debilitating to a point that a person stops investing in her life, has trouble functioning in her main areas of life and may even get sick. Like so, it is important to seek professionals that are trained and able to understand the situation the person is living, respect what it implies and work together in order to recover and enhance the person´s well-being, emotional resilience and ability to invest in satisfactory life-projects.
Reasons to find a Psychologist
- Whenever you´re feeling prolonged sadness or despair towards your life challenges;
- When you don´t find medical causes that explain things like insomnia, sexual dysfunctions, agitation, lack of energy or recurrent muscular tensions;
- If you´re constantly worried and in a state of inner tension, edginess or hoping for the worst;
- When despite the best help, intentions or efforts from familiar persons around you, things seem not to change at all;
- When you´re unable to finish tasks because you lack concentration, motivation or performance;
- When your actions are harsh for yourself or for others, like the cases of alcoholism, substance abuse, being defensive or aggressive with others either physically or verbally;
- When your wish to know yourself better, to understand or change certain patterns in your way of being;
- When you feel difficulties in expressing or communicating with others;
How to choose a Psychologist?
A psychologist establishes a humanized and professional relationship with a person. Firstly, it is sorely important that his credentials and competence towards the person´s specific needs are addressed. Secondly, during the first sessions and the following, the person needs to check if she feels comfortable and secure in the presence of the psychologist, because the quality of the relationship between both is a major factor for the efficiency of this kind of work.
Sugestion of questions to ask the psychologist?
- Are you a certified member of your National Psychologist´s Board? How long have you been practicing psychology?
- I have been feeling (anxious, tense, lack of sexual desire, depressed, etc) and had these problems (with my wife/husband at work, with food, etc). What is your experience with these kind of things?
- What is your area of expertise – for example working with children, adults, families?
- What type of treatment or approach do you use? Do they have scientific validity to deal with the type of problem or situation I have?
- What are your fees? (prices are normally based in sessions of 50 minutes to 1 hour)
Differences between a Psychologist and a Psychiatrist
Both psychologists and psychiatrists are mental health professionals, specialized in prevention, evaluation and intervention of how our mind affects behavior and well-being. They use interventions and treatments that are scientifically valid like the case of psychotherapy. When both of them are properly trained and certified in a specific psychotherapeutic approach, they are able to offer this kind of service to address psychological affections, but also to stimulate personal development and positive change.
Nevertheless, the main difference among a psychologist and a psychiatrist is the fact that the last one has a medical training and is allowed to write prescriptions while the psychologist is not.
Psychology at the Clínica do Poder
At the Clínica do Poder the psychologist is above all, integrated in a multidisciplinary team that seeks to optimize the patient´s health as a whole, not only in terms of evaluation but also in terms of treatment intervention.
As so, the psychologist mind frame is set to provide the best psychological adjustment possible to the patient regarding the different interventions and respective changes that result from them.
This kind of service is also available to the patient’s relatives and to everyone that, independently of sexual health or anti-aging issues, seeks for psychological support or psychotherapeutic intervention.